Bill Gurley Interviews Tim Ferriss — Reflecting on 20+ Years of Life and Business Experiments (#682)
Welcome to flipside episode of The Tim Ferriss Show, where it is usually my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out the routines, habits, et cetera that you can wield to your own lives.
This is a special episode and a turning of the tables. This time, legendary investor Bill Gurley interviews me, and the recording is from older this year at SXSW in Austin, TX. The conversation explores some of my lessons learned and favorite findings over the last two decades in areas like entrepreneurship, tech, and podcasting. I throw in some favorite books and other spice to alimony things interesting.
Bill Gurley (@bgurley) has spent increasingly than 20 years as a unstipulated partner at Benchmark. Before inward the venture-capital business, Bill spent four years on Wall Street as a top-ranked research analyst, including three years at Credit Suisse First Boston. Over his venture career, he has worked with such companies as GrubHub, Nextdoor, OpenTable, Stitch Fix, Uber, and Zillow.
For increasingly takeaways from his incredible investing career, you can find my interview with Bill at tim.blog/billgurley.
As a side note, my 2007 SXSW speech that I mention in the interview is what started it all, in many senses. It’s what put my first book, The 4-Hour Workweek, on the radar of influential bloggers and worthier media outlets, ultimately landing it on The New York Times Best Sellers list, where it stayed, increasingly or less, for the next seven years. It’s been a wild ride.
You can hear that 2007 presentation at tim.blog/sxsw.
One last thing: Hugh Forrest, if you’re listening, thank you then for giving me a shot way when in the day!
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. Watch the conversation on YouTube here.
This episode is brought to you by Secureframe! Secureframe’s industry-leading compliance automation platform, paired with their in-house compliance experts and former auditors, helps you get audit-ready in weeks, not months, so you can tropical increasingly deals faster.
Secureframe simplifies and streamlines the process of getting and staying compliant to the most rigorous global privacy and security standards. They help thousands of businesses achieve compliance with security and privacy frameworks including SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, PCI, and GDPR. Schedule a demo today at Secureframe.com, and tell them during the demo that Tim Ferriss sent you to unlock 10% off for your first year.
This episode is brought to you by AG1! I get asked all the time, “If you could use only one supplement, what would it be?” My wordplay is usually AG1, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my weightier with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG1 further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, you’ll get a 1-year supply of Vitamin D self-ruling with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit DrinkAG1.com/Tim to requirement this special offer today and receive your 1-year supply of Vitamin D (and 5 self-ruling AG1 travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as widow value when you try their succulent and comprehensive daily, foundational nutrition supplement that supports whole-body health.
This episode is brought to you by Eight Sleep! Eight Sleep’s Pod Cover is the easiest and fastest way to sleep at the perfect temperature. It pairs dynamic cooling and heating with biometric tracking to offer the most wide (and user-friendly) solution on the market. Simply add the Pod Cover to your current mattress and start sleeping as tomfool as 55°F or as hot as 110°F. It moreover splits your bed in half, so your partner can segregate a totally variegated temperature.
Go to EightSleep.com/Tim and save $250 on the Eight Sleep Pod Cover. Eight Sleep currently ships within the USA, Canada, the UK, select countries in the EU, and Australia.
Want to hear the last time Bill Gurley was on this podcast and I was the one asking all the questions? Listen to our conversation in which we discussed the most efficient short-form MBA one can find, sell-side analysts vs. buy-side analysts, repurposing good ideas for volitional applications, undervalued competitive advantages, the Santa Fe Institute, how to cultivate anti-tribalism, problems unshut source can solve, and much more.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Bill Gurley:
- Featured Session: Turning the Tables on Tim Ferriss: A Conversation with Bill Gurley | SXSW 2023
- Legendary Investor Bill Gurley on Investing Rules, Finding Outliers, Insights from Jeff Bezos and Howard Marks, Must-Read Books, Creating True Competitive Advantages, Open-Source Strategies, Adapting Mental Models to New Realities, and Increasingly | The Tim Ferriss Show #651
- Department of East Asian Studies | Princeton University
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss | Amazon
- Hobee’s Stanford | Yelp
- The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Timothy Ferriss and the ‘4-Hour’ Exit | The Globe and Mail
- Angel Investing: What It Is and How to Start | NerdWallet
- Tim Ferriss’ Sweetie-pie Investing Profile | Signal
- Goodbye, StumbleUpon, One of the Last Great Ways to Find Good Things Online | The Verge
- Tim Ferriss’s Favorite Investment Is Uber (Video) | The Merchantry Journals
- How to Increase Your Luck Surface Area | Codus Operandi
- From SF to Shenzhen: How Tech Hubs Are Built by Tanay Jaeel | LinkedIn
- Lost Generation: Paris, 1920s | Scott and Zelda
- A Fictional World Built for These Chaotic Times | The Legend of CØCKPUNCH
- The Lost Presentation That Launched The 4-Hour Workweek — “Secrets of Doing Increasingly with Less in a Digital World” from SXSW 2007 | The Tim Ferriss Show #548
- Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS | WordPress
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Tim Ferriss Episodes | The Joe Rogan Podcast
- Tim Ferriss | ID10T (Formerly The Nerdist Podcast) Episode 72
- Tim Ferriss | WTF with Marc Maron Episode 355
- Tim Ferriss | The Adam Carolla Show
- Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders | Six Degrees to Joe Rogan: A Podcast Network Analysis
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History Podcast
- Inside the Actors Studio | Bravo TV
- 10 Weightier Films That Tackle Toxic Influencer Culture | Screen Rant
- Welcome to 5-Bullet Friday | Tim Ferriss
- Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History by Michael Witwer, Kyle Newman, Jon Peterson, and Sam Witwer | Amazon
- To Be Clear: Do Not Build Your Brand House on Land You Don’t Own | John Battelle’s Search Blog
- Finding the One Decision That Removes 100 Decisions (or, Why I’m Reading No New Books in 2020) | Tim Ferriss
- How I Built This with Guy Raz | Wondery
- This American Life
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Al Ries and Jack Trout | Amazon
- Lex Fridman Podcast
- Invest Like the Weightier with Patrick O’Shaughnessy
- An Update on Changes to Spotify’s Podcast Business, June 2023 | Spotify
- How Spotify’s Podcast Plan Went off the Rails | The Verge
- “I’ll DM You Now” | Tim Ferriss, Twitter
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Weightier in the World by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Sponsored InMail | LinkedIn Marketing Solutions
- Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos by M. Mitchell Waldrop | Amazon
- Science for a Complex World | Santa Fe Institute
- Mr. China: A Memoir by Tim Clissold | Amazon
- The Tao of Seneca: Letters from a Stoic Master (aka The Moral Letters to Lucilius) | Tim Ferriss
- Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality by Anthony de Mello | Amazon
- The Angels Knocking on the Tavern Door: Thirty Poems of Hafez | Amazon
- Eight of the Very Weightier Nail Clippers 2023 | The Strategist
- Raynaud’s Disease Symptoms and Causes | Mayo Clinic
- HotHands Hand Warmers | Amazon
- Mittens | Amazon
- The Truth About the New York Times and WSJ Bestseller Lists | Observer
- Publishing Industry Data | NPD BookScan
- Today’s Book: The 4-Hour Workweek | Scobleizer
- Nonviolent Communication: Create Your Life, Your Relationships, and Your World in Harmony with Your Values by Marshall B. Rosenberg | Amazon
- [06:32] From Princeton to podcasting.
- [07:39] How a disenchanted entrepreneur became a reluctant author.
- [14:22] Sweetie-pie investing and The 4-Hour Body.
- [16:40] Investing rulesets and takeaways.
- [19:09] How a nomination location maximizes serendipity.
- [20:42] Why did I when yonder from sweetie-pie investing?
- [22:28] Inward the blogosphere.
- [27:02] Why podcasting?
- [28:33] Early and rememberable lessons for improving the craft.
- [31:37] What makes a successful podcaster?
- [34:57] The power of uncontrived liaison with one’s audience.
- [38:48] Leveraging a lean infrastructure.
- [40:34] Helpful steps for constructive interview prep.
- [45:08] Respected podcasting peers.
- [48:00] Spotify’s foray into podcasting territory.
- [50:09] Twitter and LinkedIn.
- [53:15] Books most gifted.
- [55:31] Most positively constructive purchase of $100 or less.
- [55:30] Favorite failure.
- [57:50] Billboard.
- [58:49] Weightier investment overly made.
- [59:30] Most life-improving new belief, behavior, or habit.
- Dr. Evil
- Ed Zschau
- Mike Maples, Jr.
- Garrett Camp
- Danny Meyer
- Hugh Forrest
- Joe Rogan
- Chris Hardwick
- Marc Maron
- Adam Carolla
- Dan Carlin
- Genghis Khan
- Richard P. Feynman
- Max Headroom
- Michael Mauboussin
- Shaquille O’Neal
- Guy Raz
- Lex Fridman
- Patrick OShaughnessy
- Bill Simmons
- Tim Clissold
- Anthony de Mello
- Kevin Kelly
- A.C. Nielsen
- Robert Scoble
- Marshall B. Rosenberg